July 28th, 2013 by Sara Baker-Flynn

Growing Up

I promise I did not forget you! It has been a crazy past few weeks with the chickens, so I will try to catch you up!

The chickens quickly outgrew the pen they were in. However, they were still too small to be integrated with the adult chickens, and thus Professor Robert and her husband fenced off part of the adult coop for the little ones.

The Adult Chicken coop

Unfortunately some of them escaped into the larger coop anyway, so I reinforced the fencing. Although I really enjoyed using the staple gun (not meant sarcastically!), I do not think I will be able to make a career as a carpenter anytime soon. There may be a few extra staples in the wood from where I missed. Decorations, perhaps?

Since then, I have been doing a lot of socializing work with them.  To raise friendly adult chickens, it is best to spend lots of time with them when they are little-picking them up, talking to them (“cheep cheep” “bok bok” “pío pío”), and the like.  I would imagine that this sounds weird to anyone walking by the coop when the chicks are out for their supervised exercise.

The chicks in their new home!

Next up (soon, I promise!): Moving the chicks into a permanent home and building a new pen!

Current day month ye@r *

WordPress主题

Premium WordPress Themes