June 20th, 2013 by Sara Baker-Flynn

1

Feathers Galore

Hello =]

I realize it’s been a while since I posted, so I will fill you in!

Last week I met the chicks for the first time. It was exciting, fun, dirty, and nerve-racking all at the same time.

Let’s go back to the part where I have never held a chicken in my life. Ever. They were so tiny, I was worried about squeezing them too hard, dropping them, and not to mention their little beaks that peck you (out of curiosity, not malice!) However, once Kira and I broke the ice and picked up our first ones it came (somewhat) easily!

Chicks!

Kira and I started by cleaning out the adult chicken coop. In a weird and gross way I actually enjoyed the labor. We also cleaned out the bucket that all the chicks were residing in, and discussed possible plans for a larger and mobile chicken coop for when the chicks are big. The website Backyard Chickens has been enormously helpful so far.

The next day, Professor Robert and I transferred the chicks into a larger pen and put the pen in the coop so that the hens could get used to having a bunch of babies around. It was pretty cool to see the hens approach the pen cautiously and curiously, craning their necks to get a better look at the chicks without getting too close.

Next week: The awkward toddler stages =]

1 Comment Post a comment
  1. Jun 24 2013

Phase three: further integration and coop modifications!! Thanks for your help, Sara.

Reply

Current ye@r *

Free WordPress Theme

Free WordPress Themes