June 18th, 2013 by Gus

1

A Window of Opportunity

Hello, my name is Gus Meissner and I am a rising senior here at Clark. The purpose of this blog is to share my summertime journey as the community outreach intern for the Clark Community Thrift Store (CCTS). I also intend to talk about some of the amazing people behind the scenes at the CCTS and what they are doing to ensure that the store continues develop as an important asset for the surrounding community.

Being an innovation and entrepreneurship student at Clark, I carry a deep passion for sustainability and improving the world around me. Thanks to my background, I already feel that I am a good fit for the job and am extremely excited about being involved with this fantastic organization. Having started my internship during the first week of June, I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with both my CCTS mentors and colleagues on the thrift store’s summer management team. Although I plan to talk more about these unique change makers later, I will briefly share who they are now:

The LEEP Mentor Dream Team

• Jenny Isler- Jenny is the Campus Sustainability Coordinator at Clark and is one of the most passionate people I have ever encountered. I know she will push me to work hard and to think in new ways.
  • Amy Whitney- Amy is the Associate Director of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship department, and like Jenny is an enthusiastic and creative guide.
  • Laura Burgess- Laura is the Program Director at the Graduate School of Management. Because Laura is my academic advisor during the school year, I have known her the longest and her expertise will surely be of use if I encounter any major bumps in the road.

On the student side, I am working closely with Sam Brockman, a Clark MBA student in Community Development, and Sarah Philbrick, a rising junior and an economics major. In terms of an organizational hierarchy, Sam is the operations manager of the CCTS and has the most decision making power of the three of us. Like me, Sarah is also working to engage the community, but from the Clark side (I am directing my efforts outside of Clark).

Our storefront across from Clark's campus gates.

Our storefront across from Clark’s campus gates.

Although I have only recently begun this internship, I can already see that there are numerous areas to which I could direct my efforts. However, I know that it will be crucial to set realistic goals that I can thoroughly accomplish. One of these goals is to post a new blog entry three times a month. Through the summer I will use this blog to discuss my learning process and provide updates on the work of the CCTS team. As I conclude this post I leave you with one question: what does the word “community” mean to you?

1 Comment Post a comment
  1. Bob Meissner, Jr
    Jun 24 2013

Community to me means a sense of shared commitment based on shared values and shared interest. I’ve seen this operate at my local church and as a board member at High Mowing High School in New Hampshire. It seems to me that what holds these organizations together is caring communications and personal interactions which bring to light challenges, ideas and issues to be addressed. Your blog is a great way to foster your goals at CCTS. Good luck!

Reply

Current ye@r *

Free WordPress Theme

Free WordPress Theme