June 14th, 2013 by Brenna Merrill

College Shower

Hey again!

Did you think I forgot about you? No worries, I didn’t. I just live in an apartment without internet and sometimes I forget Clark-far isn’t really that far and I should just walk my legs on over to the AC. Anyway.

My time at Girls Inc is divided in two between working in development (think grant writing and fundraising) and communication & volunteers (think marketing and public programs). In a few short weeks I will also help with summer programs.

Graduation cap boxes! Filled with a survival kit. Each girl's college was displayed on front. There were two future Clarkies!

Graduation cap boxes! Filled with a survival kit. Each girl’s college was displayed on front. There were two future Clarkies!

Because of this split, I have spent a day and a half for the past four weeks working on last night’s College Shower. This is an event many Girls Inc organizations have for their graduating seniors, and through the generosity of the University of Phoenix Boston Campus the Worcester affiliate has been able to put on for a second year in a row. The idea behind the event is to celebrate young women who have excelled and are making the life transition to college in a similar manner that others have showers before motherhood or a wedding.

To this end, the College Shower centered on honoring the accomplishments of these girls in the presence of their friends, family, and community leaders. There were speeches, and cake, and lots of smiles. Each student was also provided with supplies for her upcoming year at a new school  (receiving items including bedding, a nook, and a $50 gift card to Staples).

Clarkie Stephanie and I masterfully crafted that balloon wall in the back. And Clarkie Maya helped to place those centerpieces and rolo caps on the tables. :)

Clarkie Stephanie and I masterfully crafted that balloon wall in the back. while Clarkie Maya helped to place those centerpieces and rolo caps on the tables.

My job for the event was to figure out the decorations and help with some logistics. I created the program, worked on centerpieces, and spent most of my days doing paper crafts. If I were not already in love with Pinterest, this assignment sure made my affections stronger.  :)  With the help of my fellow interns (shout out to 5th-yr Clarkie Michelle for her excellent ribbon making and hot glue skills) decorations were wonderfully made!

P.S. if you ever need a Clarkie, just go to Girls Inc. They all seem to be in the intern office!

Current ye@r *

mugen 2d fighting games

Free WordPress Themes