June 10th, 2013 by Kira Foley

1

The Intro

Hello virtual Clark community!

I’m Kira, a new Clarkie as I transferred to Clark University last Fall from Bard College at Simon’s Rock. So far, the opportunities at Clark overwhelm me. I’m a Psychology major with a concentration in Ethics and Public Policy. My goal is to be an Environmental Lawyer. My journey to get there is one filled with a washing machine full of interests and passions from Positive Psychology to Permaculture.

Most of my extra efforts during the school term are focused on my involvement with Food Truth, Clark’s representation of Real Food Challenge. Like us on Facebook! (click: here). At the end of last semester we celebrated Clark signing the Real Food Challenge Campus Commitment, e.g. the President alongside Clark Dining Services pledged to shift 20% of our food dollars to “real food” by 2020. Real food is defined as at least 1 of the following 4 descriptions: Local, Ecologically Sound/Organic, Fairly Traded, and/or Humanely Produced. Needless to say, I am currently fixated on gaining as much knowledge as possible about the world-wide food system. And that is what led me to my LEEP project.

This summer, I will be working with a fellow LEEP pioneer and blogger, Sara Baker-Flynn, at the Barred Owl Retreat, a space in nature for creative writing workshops, an outside classroom, and other artistic & sustainability ventures. My LEEP project consists of raising chickens and learning all the ins and outs of sustainable egg production. My tasks: socializing the chickens, building a portable chicken coop, considerable research on chickens & egg production, and much more. The final result: sharing my new knowledge with the Clark community.

I get to meet the 24 chicks tomorrow! Stay tuned for updates about my journey & fun facts you never new about chickens!

the chicks!

the chicks!

1 Comment Post a comment

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Feathers Galore | LEEP Pioneers

Current ye@r *

Premium WordPress Themes

WordPress主题