May 30th, 2013 by Samuel Mix

5

Hadwen Arboretum

May 8, 2013

Hello everyone!

My name is Sam Mix, I’m an Environmental Science and Policy major and in the Clark class of ’14. This blog will serve to trace some of my progress in working to create value for the Clark University Hadwen Arboretum. I will be working with Jenny Isler, the Clark Sustainability Coordinator, and many others throughout this project.  I have not done something like this (blogging) before and I am horrible at writing (thus, not being an English minor) so bear with me as I write this. The project goal is to make an action, or business, plan for the Hadwen Arboretum, forested area a few blocks off campus that has been left unmaintained.

This project as a lot of unknowns, but I am really excited to get started.

For this post, I will discuss my meeting with Jenny Isler, which happened on May 6, 2013:

Today I met with Jenny Isler in the AC to go over our LEEP project. We have met before multiple times to discuss this matter. This meeting, however, was on the second to last day of school and was the first meeting since I confirm funding though Clark’s LEEP initiative. We broke down my plan into to a few major steps. The first part of what I have to do is pretty clear.

Our general outline so far is as followed:

1. Research
  2. Out-reach
  3. Convene meeting of stakeholders

Research is my first step. For this stage, my goal is to outline the story of the Hadwen Arboretum, to make a brief economic statement about the value that the arboretum, and to create a set of practices reflecting policies already put in place by other arboretums.

The other steps: To reach out and bring together a group of stakeholder for the arboretum (CU and community), and to figure out what they want to see changed. By then I should have some ideas on how to make the arboretum more valuable. Once this is complete, I will write a proposal and present it to Clark.

I will also be keeping a diary on how these events unfold for myself, as well as a newsletter for the stakeholders.

Other goals may be accomplished. Others may not happen. I feel like this project is going to be bigger than I what I first anticipated.

The Main Question: How to build value in the Hadwen Arboretum?

Read more from Sam Mix, Social Sciences
5 Comments Post a comment
  1. Jul 8 2013

Great that you’re doing this, Sam. If I were you, I would also talk to Albert Southwick, the former chief editorial writer of the T&G who has been writing about Worcester history for many years and once wrote on the aboretum. He also was close friends with Relly Raffman, the music professor who lived in the Clark house in the woods. Al knows Worcester history very well and might know of other sources for you. He attended Clark U too, walking all the way there and back from Marshall Street in Leicester, down to Tatnuck Square and in to Clark along Chandler and May Streets.

Reply
  2. Jul 8 2013

Al Southwick 505-757-4126

Reply
    • Sam
      Jul 9 2013

Thank you, Walter! I have added Mr. Southwick to my contact list and I look forward to meeting him.

Reply
  3. Paul Dell'Aquila
    Jul 9 2013

Hi Sam…thanks for taking this project on. Nicole Apostola told me about your efforts and I’d love to help out in whatever way I can. I’ve done both political & community development work in the Main South & Columbus Park neighborhoods and my current position at Mass Audubon involves building partnerships around planning & conservation issues. Thus, my strengths would be more in the outreach and implementation phases, I think. Personally, I’d love to see the site become more accessible to the public…at least a sprucing up of the trails in addition to the removal of the invasives that are there (I’m not a a plant guy, but I’m told there are some problems)…I’d also like to see a kiosk or trail signage that tells the story of the land and also about the various tree species. Just some intitial thoughts…please reach out if you would like to discuss this more.

Reply
    • Sam
      Jul 9 2013

Hello paul,
      I would very much like to talked to you about the arboretum, community outreach, and more. I’ll ask Nicole for your contact info. My email is Smix@clarku.edu.

Reply

Current ye@r *

WordPress Blog

Premium WordPress Themes