May 9th, 2013 by Chelsea Kryspin

1

A Summer with WaterFire

Hello everyone!

This summer, I’m the Special Events and Operations intern with WaterFire, Providence. Has anyone ever been to a WaterFire event? To be honest, I had never really heard of WaterFire until I started my LEEP project. But, I’m so excited that I did! WaterFire is an art installation; hundreds of braziers of fire are lit in the river that cuts through Providence, lighting up the night and fostering community engagement and revitalization. WateFire is so much more than that though, there’re music and performers that go on throughout the night. In addition, there are often groups that partner with WaterFire to host their own event at a WaterFire lighting. That’s where I come in. In addition to running the routine WaterFire operations, I’ll be working with the Director of Special Events to coordinate the multiple events that happen simultaneously with WaterFire.

I’m so excited for this opportunity, because this is an area of work that I’m looking into pursuing. I have always loved events management, and its a position I could definitely see myself in in the future. This fall, I’ll also be interning with Clark’s Office of Student Leadership and Programming. Working with student clubs and organizations to plan events is just going to add on to my experience this summer with WaterFire, and hopefully give me a great start into a career in events management and planning.

Although my internship doesn’t start until May 21st, my LEEP project experience is in full swing. I’m amazed at how fast things move here in the “real world.” Applying for internships, looking for housing, these things fly by. You have to make decisions quickly and succinctly. I’m in the process of signing a sub-lease for housing in Providence. The process is definitely exciting, but there are so many unknowns. I try to get all the answers I can, but I’m still going to be jumping in to a lot of “what-ifs” this summer. I hate to be so cliche, but I guess this is what they meant by getting ready to “LEEP!”

WaterFire

1 Comment Post a comment
  1. Laura McKee
    May 17 2013

Hi Chelsea,
    I live in Providence, as do a number of Clark faculty and staff. If you need any volunteers for WaterFire, let me know! Otherwise, good luck with your internship.

Reply

Current day month ye@r *

Free WordPress Theme

Free WordPress Theme